This is the story of my run at the Plastic Surgery Fellowship Match of 2005.

Google

Sunday, April 10, 2005

No regrets.

I just got back from my last interview. I interviewed at Chattanooga. I took a bunch of pictures and I will upload them soon.

The grand total of interviews attended is 17. I couldn't possibly have done any more. I did my best and I have no regrets.

A few secrets for traveling:

1) If someone puts SSSS anywhere on your boarding pass, look out. You will be maximally probed by security and your luggage will be maximally rummaged.
2) If you are renting a car, always get the economy model. If you arrive late in the day, the chances are all of the economy models will be gone and they will have to give you a free upgrade. They will ask you if you want to upgrade at the counter. Just say no, you are happy with the economy car. Next thing you know they will be handing you the keys to a sweet ride at no extra cost, just because all of the economy cars are already gone. In all of my travels I always rented an economy car and I never ended up in one. They always upgraded me for free.
3) If you finish your interview early, call the airline to see if you can get an earlier flight out. I always scheduled flights that were several hours after the end of the interview sessions. Often times I would finish early and be able to get on an earlier flight. A few times the earlier flight was like $100 more expensive if you bought it like that up front. I was able to switch to the earlier flight at no extra cost.
4) Stay at flophouses whenever possible. The recommended hotels that programs will send you are usually 2-3 times as expensive as what you can find.