This is the story of my run at the Plastic Surgery Fellowship Match of 2005.

Google

Thursday, March 17, 2005

UT-San Antonio

This is the last update I will be able to do for a while. During my Texas trip I also interviewed at UT-San Antonio. I have so many memories from this part of the country. We used to live in Temple Texas and I used to go down to San Antonio all the time. One place we used to stop at and visit was Salado. It is on I-35 just a little south of Temple. It is a little artist's community. There are all kinds of art galleries and pottery shops downtown. When I was a kid I used to swim in Salado creek.



I wanted to buy some pottery from this one shop that I have gotten other pieces, but it was closed.

I arrived a little early in San Antonio so I stopped downtown. The first place I went was the Mercado - or Mexican Market. I used to go there all the time when I was a kid. They have all kinds of neat shops.





Once inside I got my daughter a marionette like the one my grandmother got me from the market 31 years ago. I also found a nice pottery shop and got a few pieces for presents.

In this area of the market they always have live bands.



There are all kinds of neat little restaurants down by the market. Most of them are tex-mex. If you want really good Mexican food, I would suggest just buying a fajita from a street vendor. Those are the best fajitas I have ever had and cheap!



If you go down to San Antonio, you absolutely MUST stop by the River Walk. It is truly a lovely place to take a walk, have a meal and stay for the night.





I stopped off at a bar that I have been to a couple of times called El Esquire. I met a few of the local characters. Everyone was very friendly.



It is an old fashioned bar with the tin ceiling, wood walls and everything. They have EXCELLENT margaritas.



They had a nice reception at the hotel the night before the interview. I met a lot of great people. The next day the interview lasted all day long. I forgot my camera so I don't have any pictures of the actual facilities but they were nice. After the interview I drove up to Dallas to visit my mom. A bunch of the applicants went out to the River Walk but I couldn't go. I know I would have had an awesome time.