This is the story of my run at the Plastic Surgery Fellowship Match of 2005.

Google

Sunday, March 06, 2005

Notes from the Road

I'm posting from the computer in the lobby of the Radissen in Milwaukee. I was at Providence in Detroit yesterday. It turns out that there is a rather large Iraqi population in Detroit. Last night I ate at an Iraqi restaurant and loved it. I can't say that the food was any different from Persian food but that is probably because my palate is not educated enough. I'm going to interview at MCW tomorrow. Tonight it is beer and pizza at Dr. Larson's house.

The trail is starting to wear on me a bit. I enjoy traveling and all but this isn't really traveling. Its like being stuck in a state of suspended animation. I can't really go forward and I can't go backward. I can't move until this match is over. I'm completely stuck in the present and I can't bring myself to think about the future. I can't really enjoy any of the cities I am in because they are so out of context. I'm only in a city for a night or two and I am usually in a flophouse on the edge of town. Without anyone along to share the experience it is a very lukewarm affair. The best thing I can compare it to would be skiing alone. I love to ski but I learned early on that it is much better to share the air and the views with someone else.

One of the interviewee's that I know very well from Oregon just walked in. It is funny how you see the same people over and over again. I hope I am not the one that they talk about next year who they knew that didn't match. I hope they all match as well.