This is the story of my run at the Plastic Surgery Fellowship Match of 2005.

Google

Sunday, February 13, 2005

Louisville and Loyola

I just got back from Louisville and Chicago. My flight has a long layover in my home city, so I got a chance to stop at the house for a while and update my website.

The first thing I did when I got into Louisville was check in at my hotel. I didn't stay at the recommended cushy hospital because I had an immediate flight and I didn't want to leave getting to the airport to chance. So I rented a car but the extra cost forced me to stay in a flophouse north of the river in Indiana. All was well though because it allowed me to explore the north side of the river.



The river is dammed right at Louisville and the dam was massive. It was quite impressive to see such a massive river contained at one point.



The night before the interview I ate at a BBQ place called Mark's Feed Store. I highly recommend stopping in if you are in Louisville. It is a BBQ joint that was made out of an old feed store. The ambiance was unique to say the least and the food was excellent.

I could only get a few pictures of the campus and it was early in the morning. This building houses the hand care center. They have one of the world's only hand dedicated ER's.



The residents rotate through the University hospitals as well as this local hospital which is right there on campus.



I enjoyed my visit very much and learned a lot about the program. After the interview I flew up to Chicago. I arrived late so I didn't do a whole lot except stop off at Portillo's for an Italian Beef and Sausage Combo. If you're from Chicago you will know exactly what I am talking about, and if not, you should try one some day.

I stayed with a cousin up in Lincoln Park. Although public transportation doesn't take you to the doors of Loyola, it gets you close. I got up early and went to the Clark/Lake El station to catch the blue line.





The Blue line gets you out to Forest Park but then you have to take a short Bus Ride on the Pace 308 to the hospital. It took about an hour to get out there from Lincoln Park but it only cost $1.75 and a cab ride would have been ridiculously expensive ($40-50) and at least 1/2 hour. It is a little more trouble to take public transportation but if you are on a budget like me I would highly recommend looking into it.

One of my friends always rents a car and he rented one for $16. That is also a good idea if you are not planning on going or staying downtown, because parking down there is ridiculous if it exists at all.



The Loyola interview was great and to the point. I was done by noon and I had the rest of the day and evening to bum around Chicago.