This is the story of my run at the Plastic Surgery Fellowship Match of 2005.

Google

Sunday, April 03, 2005

Nassau

I got back from Nassau at like 1:00 in the morning last night. I had a great time at the interview. The night before they took us all to this amazing restaurant. They gave a presentation on the program and also presented a couple interesting cases. There were only 2 or 3 applicants that I hadn't met at other interviews. I think everyone had a great time.

The next day for the interviews several of the attendings asked me about this website. Apparently word has gotten out. I suppose I should say something about why I am doing this website.

The main purpose of this website is so that the next few classes of applicants will have a little bit of guidance through the process. The specifics will change but I don't anticipate the process changing that much. There are a few people in my general surgery program who are going to be applying next year and I am hoping that many of their questions about the process can be answered by reading this site.

The other reason I keep this site is so that I will remember each of the programs when it is time for me to make a rank list. I don't say anything on this site about programs other than that I went there and what I did. I keep track of specifics that interest me in a black book and I don't make the contents of the black book public.

I had to leave after desert at the dinner because I was dead tired. I am trying to recover from the flu and pneumonia at the same time. I am also on night float and I am trying to get adjusted to the new schedule. It won't be long and I will be translucent like one of those sea creatures that lives on the bottom of the ocean, miles away from sunlight.

I liked Long Island a lot, especially the places around the medical center. I have been to NYC quite a bit. I have to say that LI is a lot more like the Midwest than NYC.

After the interview I got a cab back to the airport. I was trying to share a cab with my friend from Mobile Alabama but he wasn't done interviewing. Because of the rain my flight was delayed like 3 hours. I flew into Charlotte and found that my next plane was delayed by an hour. Who should I spy waiting for the very same plane but one of my buddies from residency. We headed over to the bar and knocked back a couple brewskies.

When I finally got on the plane it was every travelers worst nightmare. I was in the middle seat sandwiched by two 500 pounders. They both spilled over into my seat and practically smothered me. One of them had long dreadlocks and the grease from the dreadlocks got all over my interview shirt. I will have to send it out for a deep cleaning.

It was OK though because I did a little escapist reading. I am reading the Asian Saga by James Clavell. Do you remember that mini-series in the early 80's with Richard chamberlain called Shogun? Anyway Clavell is the guy who wrote Shogun and that is one of the books in the Asian Saga. I finished Shogun and I am about to finish Tai-Pan (the second book). Those are 2 of the most interesting fiction books I have ever read and I would very highly recommend them for pleasure reading aboard aircraft, especially when you want to be miles away in your head. Serenity now. SERENITY NOW!!

The other books I have been reading on the flights are the Earth's Children series by Jean Auel. The first book in that series is the Clan of the Cave Bear. I am about to start the 4th book in that series. I would also give those books my highest recommendation. They are extremely entertaining.

Next week is my last interview - Chattanooga. I am looking forward to being done with the interview process and moving on the the ranking process. I have some meetings set up with my chairman of surgery, the program director and the chairman of plastic surgery. Hopefully I will get some good advice and make a rank list that is the best for me.