This is the story of my run at the Plastic Surgery Fellowship Match of 2005.

Google

Sunday, January 16, 2005

MCG Details

I had an excellent trip to MCG. I flew into Atlanta and rented a car to drive to Augusta. The drive was very pretty at least to me. I am used to seeing corn and wheat fields.



I am glad I decided to fly to Atlanta instead of to Augusta. It would have cost me a ton more money to fly into Augusta and I would have had to stay an extra day. A lot of the applicants ended up staying overnight.

I got a room at the Partridge Inn, which I very highly recommend. I stayed there 4 years ago when I was interviewing for General Surgery. I hadn't planned on staying overnight. I was scheduled to fly up to Michigan for an interview but there was a little fog and they won't fly in fog in Augusta. The airport put me up at the PI overnight. I went to the bar and grill and they had the best version of the BLT I have ever had. It had homemade pimento cheese spread, smoked bacon, lettuce and tomato on toasted bread. I got the sandwich, a coke and a piece of pecan pie for under 5 bucks.

As soon as I got checked in I went downstairs to the bar and grill to see if they still had the sandwich but they didn't. I found out that the pimento sandwich is a tradition at the Master's, much like the mint julep is at the Kentucky Derby.

My room was beautiful. It was on the 4th floor and I had my own balcony. I had a great view of the medical center and the rest of the city.



At 7 I went down to a conference room in the PI and met the other applicants, the fellows and the PA's from the program. Everyone was extremely nice and answered all of our questions. I talked to a lot of the other applicants and they all seemed like outstanding people. Oh boy is it going to be tough to match this year, at least for me.

The next morning we were taken to the hospital in the PI's A-Team van. We assembled in a conference room for breakfast and a presentation. Dr. Yu played the Louis Armstrong song 'What a Wonderful World' while we waited for everyone to get there.

I don't have any pictures of the actual facilities unfortunately. If you are interested in what the place looked like you can check out the photos on their web page.

I interviewed with 4 faculty and 2 residents. Everyone was very nice and answered all of my questions.

After the interview I drove around Augusta to check it out. The town is very pretty with tree lined streets and old houses.