This is the story of my run at the Plastic Surgery Fellowship Match of 2005.

Google

Friday, November 19, 2004

Time to break out the magnifying glass

Today I am going to do some advanced snooping on MCG. Now is when I do the search for where their graduates have ended up, who is doing what research etc. Its time to get serious and take a real hard look at them. In the next few days I will put together a list of questions about things that I could not answer on my own.

I still have no idea what is going on over at plastics2002. Hopefully it has been down for a site reorganization and it will reopen better than ever. In the meantime people seem to be posting over at the forums on scutwork.com. Its interesting to see other people go through the same ups and downs that I do. Some of them are getting interviews at the elite institutions and getting flat out rejections from not so desirable places. The criteria for interviewing must be bizarre at some of these places.

I got a look at some of the interviewees at our general surgery program the other day. I got to look at some of their applications and I must say I was seriously impressed. A much higher caliber of applicant is coming through than we have seen over the last 3 years. I suspect general surgery will be extremely competitive this year. Perhaps GS as a specialty is regaining some of its prestige. Its yet another thing that people can bash us gen-xers about. We were all too lazy and worthless to be up to the challenge and honor of general surgery. We're like Rodney Dangerfield when it comes to respect. :P