This is the story of my run at the Plastic Surgery Fellowship Match of 2005.

Google

Friday, October 08, 2004

Big news for my program.

My program switched program directors yesterday. I am not sure how that will affect things. We had to list our program director on our applications etc, and get the program director to write a letter. I guess I will have to let places that offer me an interview know who the new guy is and give them his phone number etc.

Today I also talked to one of the guys who was a plastics fellow when I was an intern. I am doing a rotation out in the private sector and he does some cases in the surgi-center. We talked about the programs that he interviewed at and some of his impressions from each place. He basically confirmed some of the things that I had heard previously. He did have one interesting point though - and that is that at least in years past if you went to 12 interviews you were almost sure to match. I am not sure how that number changes given the recent surge in number of applications vs. number of spots, but I am sure it has to be somewhere around there. How in God's name would you even have time or resources to do any more than 12? Another thing he mentioned was that he didn't remember exactly when he started getting interviews, but that he remembers it being late fall/early winter. So to me that translates late November, and December should be the early times to start hearing.

I guess Cincinnati sent emails to offer interviews to medical students. I remember that all but a few of my interview offers for general surgery came through email. That is by far the easiest and quickest way to communicate for me. Well thats it for now.