This is the story of my run at the Plastic Surgery Fellowship Match of 2005.

Google

Wednesday, September 01, 2004

Dreaming of interviews

It sure would be nice if this were interview season and not waiting season. I have heard that some program directors will sit down with a pile of applications and sort them into 3 piles - definately interview, maybe interview and don't interview. Just for fun I tried to do that with the programs based on the info I have now (which isn't very much.) That is not an easy task. There are a lot of things to consider - for instance, would it be a waste of time to go to an interview at school x because its so competative and there is only 1 spot? Would I really want to live in X, even for 2 or 3 years? Is this program going to fold when I am there, essentially wasting a year or two of my life? Oh well. Those are decisions I don't have to make at least for another few months.

I remember when I was applying for general surgery. When the first interview offer came I was so keyed up that I went, even though it was a program that my advisor wanted more than I did. I'll probably do the same again this year :P I just hope the first news that I get is an interview offer and not a rejection. I am sure there will be plenty of rejections, and those aren't so bad if you already have an interview or two under your belt.

From my perspective I am much more likely to go invest time and money in an interview if I can find out a little about a program beforehand. I can't figure out why some of these places have such crappy websites. Who knows, maybe some of these places will send out information packages.